The St. Nicholas Parish Scholarship Fund was established with an initial generous donation from Rev. Fr. Nicholas Harbatis. The purpose of this endowment is to provide scholarships to graduating high school students entering an institution of higher learning. From the time of St. Basil the Great to St. Photios to the present, our Greek Orthodox Church has stressed as part of its ethos, the importance of catechetical education and scholastic learning. This Scholarship Fund continues this great tradition in providing these awards for our St. Nicholas Youth.
Who is eligible for the St. Nicholas Scholarship Fund?
- An applicant must be a high school senior scheduled to graduate in the Spring/Summer of 2018.
- An applicant must be accepted or wait-listed by an institution of higher learning for the 2018-2019 academic year (if wait-listed, any grant of scholarship monies shall be subject to the applicant's later acceptance by such institution for the 2018-2019 academic year).
- An applicant must be baptized or chrismated an Orthodox Christian.
- An applicant must have parents who have been members in good standing of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Troy, Michigan for at least one (1) year.
- The student must have at least a 3.0 G.P.A. to qualify.
- An applicant must complete and submit all of the following:
- Scholarship Application
- Official High School Transcript
- Official Transcript of ACT and SAT Scores (If applicable)
- Essay (See Section IV Below)
- Letter of recommendation from any one of the following: (A High School Teacher or Counselor, Employer, or a person unrelated to the application who is a member in good standing of any Greek Orthodox Church.
Applying for the St. Nicholas Scholarship
Click Here to download the St. Nicholas Scholarship Fund Application Form
Primary Contacts for the St. Nicholas Scholarship Fund
Please contact the St. Nicholas Scholarship Committee by contacting the church office at (248) 362-9575.
back to top